Monday, January 10, 2011

Ugh.

Last Monday I drank the sugary/flat/orange drinky, that every pregnant woman does, an hour before my ob/gyn office took my blood, to test my sugar levels. Three days later I get a phone call from my doctor's office, and was informed that my numbers were a tad high. They needed me to come in and do another round of tests. Great.
I immediately google "what causes gestational diabetes?"
This is what I found on one site:

Who Is At Risk for Gestational Diabetes?

The following factors increase the risk of developing gestational diabetes during pregnancy:

  • Being overweight prior to becoming pregnant (if you are 20% or more over your ideal body weight).
  • Being a member of a high risk ethnic group (Hispanic, Black, Native American, or Asian).
  • Having sugar in your urine.
  • Impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose (blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to be diabetes).
  • Family history of diabetes (if your parents or siblings have diabetes).
  • Previously giving birth to a baby over 9 pounds.
  • Previously giving birth to a stillborn baby.
  • Having gestational diabetes with a previous pregnancy.
  • Having too much amniotic fluid (a condition called polyhydramnios).

Many women who develop gestational diabetes have no known risk factors.

Bullet points #1 & #2 fit my profile. I wasn't exactly skinny going into this pregnancy - but I wouldn't have considered myself obese. I had actually trimmed down quite a bit, due to eating clean and working out like a mad woman.... And I am 1/2 Filipino. So, maybe somewhat overweight + 1/2 asian = a whole chance to get this? I know, I'm strange. But I just wanted some answers. Like, could I have avoided it?

Either way...last night, starting at 7pm, I wasn't allowed to eat or drink a thing for 12 hours. I got myself up and ready to go, and arrived promptly at 7am - ready to go. Were they ready? Nope. I sat there for 20 minutes!!! There was one other person in the waiting room - waiting. Don't they know who's out here? Waiting. Hungry. Pregnant. Hello?! Then the 3 hour process began. I get my blood drawn at around 7:25am, then had to drink the orange drink AGAIN. Go back into the lobby to be called back a long hour later. Repeat 2 more times. I had my blood drawn 4 times within 3 hours. Thank goodness for 2 Entertainment Weekly magazines, a word search, and my ipod. I would've gone insane!!! (OHH! The other lady waiting with me right at 7? She was having the same tests done!!!!! She would be called in like 5 minutes after me each time.)

10:30 never looked so good. I got myself over to a diner by my house - I needed hash browns and sausage...

I should get results in about 2-3 days. I'll keep the 3 of you who read this posted.... :)

4 comments:

Sky said...

I hope you pass! *fingers crossed*

molly june. said...

don't be so hard on yourself! you're gonna do great :) and even if it comes back you have it, it's not the end of the world. my sis had it (or so they said) & it went away as soon as the baby was born. & if i remember right, she wasn't very good at being all good about it either.

oh, pregnancy. sigh.

p.s. am i #4? hehe.

Ali Winter said...

Hey Dawna! Congrats on the baby girl! That's so exciting! It's cool to look over your blog and see you are doing so well in PA and expecting! Big Congrats to you!!! Good luck with the results!

I'll be your fifth reader ;)

Unknown said...

Oh Dawna, I pray you don't have but if you do it's only for a couple of months, most women say goodbye to that after the baby is born.I just know that watching what you eat is hard enough but when you're preggers forget about it! Keep us posted!