Sunday, July 26, 2009

5 Year Anniversary

This last Friday, July 24th - Neil and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary. Over the years, we have had our ups and downs, but in the end we're there for each other. He is my best friend, and I love him oh so much!
This is one of my favorite photos from our wedding day:

Up close and personal, I know. But I just adore it. Not only was this day amazing for the both of us, the entire week was packed with memorable moments w/family & friends. The last 4 celebrated July 24th, I make a comment to Neil every time - "wasn't that entire week so fun?!" And we go back in time & just feel all warm & fuzzy inside. Everyone was just there for us, emotionally & physically.
Since we bought the house this year, and started budgeting our money more wisely through Dave Ramsey's budget guide - we chose to lay low this year, stay in town, save some money. Again, the brat that I am - it took me awhile to get used to that idea. I wanted to celebrate big, go out of town. We haven't had a non-family oriented trip since our honeymoon, and I am really in need of one. Maybe next year.
Neil planned the whole day: Cracker Barrel breakfast, canoeing in the lake, Sara's for lunch, movies, then dinner at Peppino's. As the day came near, we were CONSTANTLY on weather.com watching the storms come in. Would this day even be possible? Instead of my Tuesday thru Thursday work week - I worked Monday thru Wednesday, having Thursday off to hit up an amusement park in Pittsburgh called Kennywood. The rain threatened our entire drive there, and just a little bit while at the park. But the great thing about the dreary weather was, no lines! The longest we waited was 10 minutes. Neil unfortunately was getting light headed from the rides, so we didn't accomplish too much in the 5 hours we were there.
Friday morning we woke up to thunder & lightening. We were hesitant to even start our day. After my shower, I wished my husband of 5 years a "Happy Anniversary" and became super confident that we would have fun! THANK THE LORD, we did all that we wanted to!!!! Breakfast at Cracker Barrel was glorious as usual. (They had out their fall/Halloween stuff already, and I bought the cutest owl plates, owl stuffed pillow, and a coffee to match. eee!) We went home & dressed for canoeing. It was 73 degrees out...with 94% humidity. :) My hair is not so keen on humidity, but thanks to my Pureology Super Straight hair products, I was ok. The sun was shining, and that's all that mattered. We canoed, & had such a great time. It was very relaxing. Not that we could go very far in it - they had rules. Lame, right? It was fun regardless. Erie actually has an annual "Discover Presque Isle" every year, and it just happened to be this weekend! So, immediately after canoeing, we walked on over & checked out some of the vendors and mingled with the locals. There is a place right on presque isle that rents out bikes of all shapes and sizes. Neil only wanted to do it if they had the 2 seater beach cruisers (tandem bikes), and they did! It was a little rocky in the beginning...my sweet husband kept saying beforehand "Can you balance? Don't make us fall!!!" So sweet of him. Once we got the hang of it, it was very fun. I love being by the water, and the lake was absolutely beautiful today. The sidewalks are lined with trees and the cool breeze was so refreshing. Don't get me wrong, this whole bike ride experience was fun - but I'll never do it again. Single beach cruisers from now on!
After we brought the bikes back, we were hungry (all that paddling and peddling...) so we drove over to Sara's for lunch. A cold Coca-Cola sounded so refreshing to me, so I ordered that along w/a hot dog. We shared some curly fries, and Neil got a Coke float. As we were sitting there, we were discussing how there really aren't any movies we'd like to see - why not remain outside and take Cali to the park. So we did! She did very good training. :)
We then made our way home, and put ourselves together for our dinner date at Peppino's. This place was amazing!!! I ordered a steak, which might be the best thing I've tasted since my engagement dinner - which is still my favorite meal of all time (filet mignon). We were hesitant in ordering dessert because we could just go some where local & not pay so much. But when the waitress read the dessert menu & said "hazelnut cheesecake with chocolate syrup drizzled on top" I was sold. Neil said "I don't like hazelnut, I won't have any of it." But guess what? After I about went to heaven w/the 1st bite - I made him try it. I was right :) He loved it!!! And we both agreed it was worth the $8.
We didn't take too many photos of our adventurist day...I'm a little upset about it. But here are a few to enjoy:
Canoe


Our Tandem bicycle for 60 minutes:


Our princess on her way back home from playing in the park:

Today was one of the best days I've ever had.
Happy 5 years babe!!

2 comments:

molly june. said...

suhweeeeeeeet!! sounds FABULOUS & romantic!!! a yellow tandem bike & a canoe ride?? be still my HEART!!! so so awesome! sounds like a fun day! happy anny you two! xo

Unknown said...

Ok laughed out loud so hard. I wish I was there to see you guys ride the tandem bike. So fun! Congrats on your fifth! YAY! Love you guys