Monday, December 8, 2008

Winter in Erie

I'm surviving!
It's cold, yes...but the snow, and the peacefulness it brings - makes up for it. I've learned that as long as my feet stay dry, I won't be miserable. I love wearing jackets, and wrapping myself up in scarves and hats. The shoe department is a challenge, I must admit...but for now, I have boots that keep me warm. They're not all that cute, but I'm still hunting...
Neil and I have had Christmas in CA for the past 3 years, and we are ecstatic to be here this holiday season. The atmosphere of Christmas is completely different. With the snow everywhere, and the lights on houses - it's like straight out of a movie.
A couple months back, I was at work - and I was explaining to some of my co-workers how in California, we decorate our homes, inside and out. And they were floored! "You mean, you put lights up on your houses? But there's no snow!!" Laughter breaks out, and they totally thought I was lying. They just could not believe we hung up lights outside of our homes...

Here are some pictures of what I've experienced so far...
Wiping off snow & ice: Bundling up daily:

The neighborhood I currently live in, and the trucks that will get us through this winter...

You would think hearing that plow at all hours of the night/morning would be annoying...but I've come to appreciate that sound so much. It's a very comforting sound, just knowing you will get out of the neighborhood w/o any trouble.

In the end, I'm taking this winter very slowly - one week, one day at a time...but so far, I love it.

No comments: